- Ph.D., Physics, University of California, Berkeley (1957);
Thesis Advisor: Luis. W. Alvarez
- M.A., Physics, University of California, Berkeley (1951)
- A.B., Physics, University of California, Berkeley (1947)
- Graduate study in Oceanography, University of Washington (1949)
Worked at Lawrence Livermore Laboratory; Yale; Washington State University; Los Alamos National Laboratory; BDM; Rocketdyne; Arinc. Also privately consulted for universities, hospitals, scientific and technical companies, developed patents, testified in court trials, applied for grants and conducted research. Emphasis on particle physics and dosimetry, accelerator design and shielding, with professional forays and collaborations in many other scientific areas.
FELLOWSHIPS and SPECIAL SERVICES:
- Summer Research Fellow, Pacific Northwest Association of Colleges and Universities (NORCUS) (1972, 1974)
- Technical Book Reviewer for Physics Today (1976)
- Proposal Reviewer for NSF (1978- 1979)
- Proposal Reviewer for Research Corporation (1977, 1978-1979)
- Textbook Reviewer for J. Wiley, (1978-1979)
- Consultant, Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory (1979)
- Publication Referee for Health Physics (1993)
- Publication Referee for IEEE Trans. Nuclear Science (1995, 1998)
INVITED PAPERS AND COLLOQUIA:
- University of Oregon (1965)
- Montana State University (1965)
- USAEC First Conference on Accelerator Dosimetry and Experience (1965)
- Topical Conference of the Pacific Northwest Association for College Physics (1973)
- LAMPF Biomedical Users Group (1974)
- The Evergreen State College, Olympia, WA (1975)
- Department of Biology, Battelle Northwest Laboratories (1974)
- Department of Physics, Technische Universität München, Germany (1976)
- Symposium of the Pacific Northwest Working Group on Track Detectors (1978, 1979, 1982)
- Los Alamos National Laboratory, MP-Division (1978)
- Department of Physics, University of New Mexico (1980)
- Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering, University of New Mexico (1980)
- Los Alamos National Laboratory, AT-Division (1984)
- Los Alamos National Laboratory, Q-Division (1984)
- American Physical Society: Nuclear, Biological and Beam Physics Divisions;
History of Physics Section
- Sigma Xi
- Health Physics Society, Plenary Member
- Secretary, Minutes of the Conference on Linear Accelerators at High Energy, Brookhaven
National Laboratories (1962)
- Editor, Minutes of the 1963 Proton Linear Accelerator Conference at Yale (1963)
- Visiting Scientist, AIP/AAPT Visiting Scientists Program (1966-1971)
- Member, Executive Committee, Pacific Northwest Association for College Physics (1974-1977)
- LAMPF Users' Safety Representative (1973-1974)
- Secretary, Conference on the Practical Applications of Accelerators, LANL (1974)
- Member, Advisory Committee, Program in Accelerator Science and Engineering University of New Mexico (1981-1984)
- Member, Organization Committee, Conference on Applications of Accelerators in Research and Industry (1982)
- Invited Participant, NASA Conference on Possible Faster-than-Light Travel, Jet Propulsion Laboratory (1994)
- Listed in American Men and Women of Science (1966-Present)
- Listed in Who's Who in Science and Engineering (1996-Present)
Knowles, H.B., "Energy Stabilization of the Berkeley Proton Linear Accelerator," Rev. Sci. Instr. 29 (1958) 130.
- Knowles, H.B., "The Differential Cross Sections for Alpha Particles Induced by 32 MeV Protons on Carbon," (Thesis, University of California, Berkeley, 1956. Published as UCRL-3753).
- Brown, Lynn B., and H.B. Knowles, "Alpha Particles from Be-9 and C-12 by 24-MeV Alpha Particle Bombardment," Phys. Rev. 125 (1962) 1339.
- Design Study Staff, Yale Study on High Intensity Proton Accelerators, "A Progress Report on the Design of a Very High Intensity Linear Accelerator for Protons at an Energy of 750 MeV," (Yale Study on High Intensity Proton Accelerators, Internal Report Y-6, 1962).
- Knowles, H.B., P. Kitching, and B.L. Murphy," The Biological Hazards of Pi- and Mu- Mesons" in Proceedings of the Symposium on the Protection against Radiation Hazards in Space, Gatlinburg, TN, November 1962, p.866.
- Knowles, H.B., James B. Mead, and Lynn B. Geesaman, "Evidence for Multibody Breakup of the Boron Isotopes by 25-MeV s," Bull. Am. Phys. Soc. 8 (Ser. II) (1963) 292.
- Knowles, H.B., Editor, Minutes of the Conference on Proton Linear Accelerators at Yale University, October 1963. (Yale Study on High Intensity Proton Accelerators, 1963).
- Edge, R.D., V.W. Hughes, H.B. Knowles, and S. Ohnuma, "Information Relevant to the Choice of the Primary Proton Energy for a Meson Factory," (Yale Study on High Intensity Proton Accelerators, Internal Report Y-8, March 1964).
- Knowles, H.B., "A Graphical First-Order Treatment of Dispersive Magnetic Particle Optics Problems," Nucl. Instr. Meth. 25 (1964) 29.
- Design Study Staff, Yale Study on High Intensity Proton Accelerators, "A Final Report on the Design of a Very High Intensity Proton Linear Accelerator as a Meson Factory at an Energy of 750 MeV," (Yale Study on High Intensity Proton Accelerators, Internal report Y-12, October 1964).
- Knowles, H.B., "Radiation Hazards Peculiar to a Linear Accelerator Meson Factory" (Invited Paper), Proceedings of the USAEC First Symposium on Accelerator Radiation Dosimetry and Experience, Brookhaven National Laboratory, November, 1964, (US Department of Commerce, Springfield, VA, TID-4500, CONF-651109), p.472.
- Ehlers, D.H., H.B. Knowles, D.C. Pecka, and M.N. Wise, "Scattering Chamber for the Study of Three-Body Reactions," Rev. Sci. Instr. 37 (1966) 1708.
- Copple, W.P., H.B. Knowles, and G.L. Bennett, "Modification of Ion Source for High-Pressure Operation," Nucl. Instr. Meth. 72 (1969) 1.
- Roper, J.G., and H.B. Knowles, "Sodium Ordering in Sodium Tungsten Bronzes," Physics Letters 38A (1972) 477.
- Singhal, R.P., and H.B. Knowles, "Empirical Values of Higher-Order Matrix Elements in Five Hindered-Allowed Beta-Decays," Nucl. Phys. A194 (1972) 642.
- Knowles, H.B., "An Envelope Equation in the Dispersive Plane of a Bending Magnet," Particle Accelerators 6 (1975) 193.
- Knowles, H.B. Reviewer, Radiation Physics and Chemistry of Polymers, by F.A. Makhlis, Physics Today 29 (1976) 43.
- Ruddy, F.H., H.B. Knowles, and G.E. Tripard, "Etch Induction Time in Cellulose Nitrate Track Detectors," Phys. Rev. Lett. 37 (1976) 826.
- Knowles, H.B., F.H. Ruddy, G.W. West, and M.M. Kligerman, "High-LET Pion Dose Contours under the LAMPF Biomedical Channel by Plastic Track Detector Scanning," Medical Phys. 6 (1979) 32.
- Hutson, R.L., J.D. Knight, M. Leon, M.L. Scillaci, H.B. Knowles, and J.J. Reidy, "Negative Muon Capture in Noble Gas Mixtures," Los Alamos Sci. Lab. Report LA-UR-79-3491, Physics Letters 76A (1980), 226.
- Knowles, H.B., "Hydrogen Isotope Comparison," AFWL-NTYP-80-109, Air Force Weapons Laboratory, October 1980.
- Knowles, H.B., and R.F. Hartley, "Air-Core Betatrons Reexamined," IEEE Trans. Nucl. Sci. NS-28, (1981) 2110.
- Knowles, H.B., "Parameters of Space-Based Accelerator Systems," (SECRET), BDM/W-0346-83-S (January 1983).
- Knowles, H.B., "Thirty-Five Years of Drift-Tube Linac Experience," LANL Publication LA 10138-MS (1984).
- Myrabo, L.N., J.P. Moder, H.B. Knowles, and L. Salasso, "Electrostatic Propulsion of Lenticular Airships by Beamed Microwave Power," presented at AIAA/ASME/SAE/ASEE 25th Jt. Propulsion Conference, Monterey CA, July 1989.
- Knowles, H.B., "Assessment of The Feasibility of Acquiring a Surplus L-Band Linear Accelerator for the Sacramento Air Logistics Center," Document prepared for SNRS, McClellan AFB, as consultant to the ARINC Research Corporation, July 1991 (35 pages).
- Orthel, J.L., H.B. Knowles, and B.W. Hill, "Final Report for the LBL/UCDMC Proton Treatment Facility: Shielding and Activation Study," Document prepared as consultant to G.H. Gillespie Associates, Inc., under contract to Lawrence Berkeley Laboratory, February 26, 1993 (86 pages).
- Bennett, G.L., and Knowles, H.B., " Boundary Conditions on Faster-than-Light Transportation Systems," presented at AIAA/ASME/SAE/ASEE 29th Jt. Propulsion Conference, Monterey CA, June 1993.
- Gillespie, G.H., H.B. Knowles, J.L. Orthel, and J.V. Siebers, "Review of the Shielding Design for the Northeast Proton Therapy Center," Document prepared as consultant to G.H. Gillespie Associates, Inc., under contract to Harvard Medical School, April 19, 1995 (approx. 30 pages).
Knowles, H.B., and H.I. Amols (Consultant to H.B. Knowles), "Linear Accelerator Radiation Safety at the Johns Hopkins University Comprehensive Cancer Treatment Center". Document prepared as consultant to Odell Associates, architects designing this structure at JHU, January 30, 1998 (75 pages).
- Staff and Consultants, Jupiter Corporation, "Final Report-External Independent Review: Dual-Axis Radiographic Hydrotest Facility (DARHT), Defense Programs Project 97-D-102(at Los Alamos National Laboratory) November 19, 1998 (approx. 50 pages).
- Staff and Consultants, K and M Engineering and Consulting Corporation, "Final Report-External Independent Review: Accelerator Production of Tritium (APT) Project, DOE Project No. 98-D-126 (at Los Alamos National Laboratory), January 15, 1999 (approx 35 pages).